Union Flags 146th New York Regimental
ODCF#68 - 146th New York Regimental Flag -
146th REGIMENT INFANTRY ("5th ONEIDA," "HALLECK INFANTRY," "GARRARD'S TIGERS")
Organized at Rome, N.Y., and mustered in October 10, 1862. Originally called the "Fifth Oneida" Regiment and the "Halleck Infantry", the 146th NY went off to war in 1862 under Colonel Kenner Garrard, a veteran West Pointer. Garrard expected his volunteers to live up to the standards of the "Old Army", and the regiment was assigned to General Sykes' Division of the Army of the Potomac, a division composed mainly of U.S. Regulars. The 146th was attached to the lone brigade of volunteers in Sykes' Division, joining the 5th NY(Duryée's Zouaves)and 140th NY(Rochester Racehorses) volunteers. As the 2-year term of service ended for the 5th NY, more than 300 three-year recruits were transferred to the 146th.
In the first week of June, 1863, Garrard's Tigers received new Zouave uniforms (they were previously attired in the NY State-issue uniform). The 146th wore these Zouave uniforms for the remainder of the war! Their uniform was based on that of the French Tirailleurs Algeriens or "Turcos".
In January 1864, both the 140th NY (Ryan's Zouaves) and 155th PA (Ayres' Zouaves) were issued Zouave attire, and with the 146th NY, formed the Zouave Brigade of the 5th Corps. Later re-inforced by the 5th NY Veteran Volunteers (Duryée's Zouaves), the colorful brigade endured the trials and tribulations of the Army of the Potomac to the surrender at Appomattox.